here today to consider some amendments…that perhaps a member of the committee can select to propose these amendments if they would
These are friendly amendments…
Kemp: Before you talk to these amendments… Can you make sure we get amendments 24 hours before we vote?
Zamarippa: Section 6 – Law enforcement – Under item A – provision kicks in if suspect arrested for one of the 7 deadly sins
This helps with local law enforcement work load
Bulk of my interest has been in section 7 – want to suggest
1) Item C – Line 11 – Add two provisions – exemptions-
a. Post Secondary education – cannot punish young men and women for sins of parents. Can’t deny them their future because their parents brought them here illegally
b. USC Sections 1611 and 1612 – these are substantive – and I ask that we include that list as part of the bill… there should be no confusion as to what is permissible and not permissible (this amendment will also expose things not spelled out – unless you are aggressive and look up the federal code – such exposure will excite folks who did not realize they would be affected by the bill)
2) I am going to suggest in section 7 – Rogers has spelled out who has authority to promulgate rules – let’s add a promulgation provision to say who is gonna write the policies… this is complicated material – we need to clarify for service providers
3) Inside the promulgation provision – anyone denied services we need to have provision to refer them to someone else (church, etc)
4) Next piece – a substantive add – one of the serious problems in management of immigration issue is pervasive use of fraudulent docs… makes it difficult for everyone. REAL ID will probably help resolve… Some fraudulent work takes place – in immigrant community where there are “notaries’ who take advantage of this community… they put these immigrants on path of committing felonies. I suggest we address this issue to restrict what these folks can do (uses Spanish form of word “notaries) these folks are not notary publics….
5) Last amendment – getting ready for federal immigration reform. US Congress has passed resolution relating to reform. Senate will take up in March… They will come up with omnibus bill with other provisions for worker permits… which will also give us some money (current bill asks us to do work with no money). Any future reform will have money associated with it. Consider Immigration Planning Office to provide source of information to service providers on what the laws are gonna mean…. The Office Of Immingration Information and Planning would help resolve the vagueries…
I will properly codify these in relation to the new substitute…. And will distribute